HP3000-L Archives

November 2000, Week 2

From:
Chris Goodey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Goodey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 2000 11:39:08 -0800
Suprtool works quite well with Omnidex keys.

If the 'key' in question is keyword indexed,
doing a CHAIN DATASET, OMNIKEY = "VALUE" pulls up
everything (not case sensitive)that call

You can also do CHAIN DATASET, OMNIKEY = "VALUE@"
to retrieve everything that starts with a value.

You can even use tricks like finding all values > than
a specific key, as in
CHAIN DATASET, OMNIKEY = ">VALUE"

It turns out to be more flexible than you would guess
from reading the available literature. Either by design
or accident, it works very well!

Omnidex is faster than you would think, too. I was
surprised how fast I could completely reindex my entire
data base  (took hours, I was expecting tens of hours)
Adding keys doesn't seem to slow things down all that much
(assuming you have plenty of memory, so the indexes
update in memory.)