HP3000-L Archives

November 2000, Week 2

From:
Mike Church <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Church <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 2000 15:06:16 -0500
Roger that Tom!

We live in a rural area in eastern Kentucky, our ballots were electronic.

Our ballot is about 2 feet by 3 feet. Large block leaders.

You just press the area indicated on the ballot for the appropriate
candidates or ballot measures,
a little read light comes on indicating your selection.

If you change your mind, just press the correct "area" and the indicator
goes
off in the wrong area, and on in the "corrected" block.

Once you have checked your ballot, you press a large 2" by 4" button that
says "VOTE."

Even then if you make a mistake, you can ask the poll worker to reset it for
you.
That is assuming you have not left the both yet.

According to one of the companies that makes the punch card ballots,
the margin of error is 3.42%. And they have admitted that due to the
"chad" problem, it is possible to get different counts each time you do
a machine recount, and that the machine may not count a ballot with a
partially detached chad.

I don't know about you, but even a 3.42% margin of error with the winner
with 0.0066664% vote margin is a bit much.

We spend more on yogurt each year than it cost to upgrade all precincts with
electronic balloting.

mc