HP3000-L Archives

November 2000, Week 2

From:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Nov 2000 14:49:45 -0800
Russell asks:
> Anyone know?
>
> Do PING, FTP, or Telnet on the HP3000 use the NetIPC libraries or do they
> use other libraries ported for POSIX?

I don't think this is going to be useful information but a quick look
indicates:

PING calls undocumented internals to perform its task.

Both FTP client and server use a custom "bsd" version of the Berkeley
Sockets API in FTPXL.ARPA.SYS which is implemented using the undocumented
(as far as I know) "MPE Intrinsic" version of the sockets API.

The telnet server uses INETD to listen for connections and then branches
into deep-magic MPE internals code in order to implement a pseudo-terminal
environment without a separate "VTSERVER"-like process.  I don't know what
actually gets called to send and receive bytes on the network.

The telnet client appears to be implemented using the NetIPC API (with calls
to a few other bsd-ish proprietary routines to provide things that NetIPC
normally can't).

So the short answer is that none of these things are implemented as purely
"sockets" or NetIPC application.

Why do you want to know?

G.