HP3000-L Archives

November 2000, Week 2

From:
Dave Darnell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Darnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Nov 2000 09:10:08 -0700
I remember once going to the polling place, punching the wrong hole, then
merely trading my erroneous card for another, punching it correctly, and
submitting the correct card.  Don't the voting instructions cover this?  I
don't see how we can invalidate an election (or subset thereof) due to the
voters inability to follow directions.

BTW - I have seen the "confusing" ballot.  The arrow pointing from Mr.
Gore's name to hole number three was plainly evident, and did not seem to
indicate hole number two (even if the voter had some other document
obscuring the right-hand page) as the hole to punch for Gore.

If a voter is so simple-minded as to assume that of three holes to punch,
the "not Bush" hole is the one under the "Bush" hole, and if we feel
compelled to accommodate these voters, then I suggest that we both follow
the letter of the law in the current situation, and institute a remedy
before the next election.

-dtd