HP3000-L Archives

November 2000, Week 1

From:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 2000 11:47:35 -0800
Mark responded:
> Ronald R Horner wrote:
> > My HP3000 system is getting bogged down.  We use POSIX on the system for
> > some menuing that operations use.  My question is, does POSIX use memory
> > mgr and the other resource managers?  Does it just take whatever
> > resource it needs without talking to the other resource managers?
>
> POSIX programs aren't really significantly different from
> non-POSIX programs in terms of how the underlying OS is used.

Absolutely, I agree with this.

However I will point out that shell scripts can be evil, since virtually
every command or expression in a shell script involves forking and execing
some Posix.2 program, and this process is virtually instantaneous on Unix
but takes seemingly forever on MPE.

So if your "menuing" is a bunch of shell scripts then it might be a lot
slower on MPE (and have somewhat more of an impact on the rest of the
system, but probably nothing extreme) than on Unix.

G.