HP3000-L Archives

November 2000, Week 1

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 2000 13:46:08 EST
Kim writes:

> I think HP policy on this issue was set several years back when Harry S was
>  at HP in charge of the HP3000.  You can reread about it a back issue of
>  HPWORLD (i think) that did an interview with Harry when he retired.

And that is very much the point of the message contained in HP poster. Harry
kept his sexual orientation to himself, even though he was actively
discriminated against early on by HP corporate policy, in a form of
discrimination that most of you would not readily tolerate if you were in the
same position.

But far more importantly, it was abundantly clear that Harry's sexual
orientation did not affect his job performance in any manner. Rather, we all
owe him a great debt of gratitude to Harry's stewardship of CSY. It is in
great part that because he was there that the HP3000 is undergoing a
renaissance, and there has been no one at HP in recent years that I've held
in higher regard than Harry.

Homosexuality and transvestism are the last two socially acceptable bigotries
left in American society, but I personally have no use for those who engage
in those bigotries. These people misunderstand nature, biology, and the
fundamental ideals of charity and tolerance that lie at the core of every
great religion, including Christianity.

Let me say that if we ever had such an intolerant employee here, he too would
be let go after due warning.

Wirt Atmar