HP3000-L Archives

November 2000, Week 1

From:
Glenn Koster <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Glenn Koster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2000 07:00:10 -0600
Wirt wrote:

> States that are "locked up", one way or the other,
> aren't getting all that much attention

Wirt is usually very on-target.  He hit a bull's eye with this one.  In
Kansas, a state that has not vote for a Democratic presidential candidate
since FDR, we are "assumed" to be a Republican stronghold.  How Republican
are we?  The Republicans have held the state house and senate for at least
30 years now.  The governor has been Republican for as long as anyone can
remember.  Sixty percent of the local races don't even have a Democratic
challenger.

We have not had a single visit by any presidential candidate - not even
during the primaries.  Of course, it didn't help that we also didn't have a
presidential primary this year.  Our very first presidential campaign ad
occurred this weekend.  Our local news carries very little of the campaign.
We rely mostly on the newspapers and the national news networks to be aware
of the process occurring.

We would have loved some of the attention you guys got!  It's heck to be
part of the forgotten landscape...

Glenn Koster