HP3000-L Archives

November 2000, Week 1

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 5 Nov 2000 21:34:13 EST
Glenn asks:

> I could use a (brief!) refresher on how this whole process works.
>  I mean, if who gets into office is decided by the the votes of the
>  electoral college, then why should I bother?

You should bother because when you're voting for one candidate or the other,
you're really voting for that candidate's state party-nominated electors, the
men or women who will actually cast their vote at the meeting of the
electoral college in December, after the national vote, on your behalf.

The electoral college recapitulates the same basic idea as you voting for
your senators and representative. They express your vote through your choice
of representatives.

The electoral college is primarily made up of just ordinary people, generally
given as a form of honoraria for faithful service to the party, and not
generally to professional politicians.

In 48 of the 50 states, the winner of the state, even if the "win" was 50.1%
of the vote, receives all of the electors' votes. In two others, the electors
can split their votes, but they have rarely done this.

>  After all, the electoral
>  college is not obligated to follow the popular vote, right?

That's basically true. There is no Federal or Constitutional requirement that
the electors follow their states' mandates, however the individual states can
and do levy fines on "faithless" electors.

The oddest outcome -- and one that is at least possible in this election --
is that the electors will come to a tie vote. In that case, we wouldn't have
a second national election. If a tie should exist in the electoral college,
the House of Representatives will decide the presidency and the Senate
decides the Vice Presidency.

Wirt Atmar