HP3000-L Archives

November 2000, Week 1

From:
Dave Darnell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Darnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Nov 2000 08:17:47 -0700
<snip all>

Some who have contributed voluminously to the thread "Fiorina, Carly,
personal political orientation?" have a few times asserted that the true
value or import of the thread is generally whatever they have written in
their last few replies.

My view is that the value they have gotten (or tried to get) is to
demonstrate their moral and intellectual superiority.

While the moral issues introduced into this thread have been very productive
(a cough can be "productive") they have really nothing to do anymore with my
original post.  Yes, that's the nature of the format, I suppose.

I just want to let the list know that my original post was an attempt to
understand the whos and whys of HP's changes in corporate culture. (I have
since done my research and found that Carleton Fiorina had nothing to do
with anything but the last few months.) There have been  broad and rich
changes in the HP organism.  It is my great regret that when asked "what
changes", I mentioned the first that came to mind (the Boise incident.) I
did not mention the "morals" aspect at that time.  I assumed that since it
had been in the news, most were aware of it.  Bad assumption on my part.
Also, a bad assumption that I wouldn't divert the thread by explaining the
Boise incident when queried about it.

Since posting my explanation of the news article, I have off-list been
accused of being gay, of being homophobic, and of being in danger of
exposing whatever negative aspects of myself as others might imagine, to the
whole world.

I suggest that another forum be found for the philosophical discussions.  If
enough request it, I will set up another list myself so all can debate the
topics of their personal interest.

-Dave Darnell