HP3000-L Archives

November 2000, Week 1

From:
Dave Darnell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Darnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 2000 16:57:30 -0700
This is the best I could do in about 1/2 hour, going through non-linearly,
and looking at most many times.  The second group seemed easier!

-dtd

 This test does not measure intelligence, your fluency with words,
 creativity or mathematical ability. It  will, however give you some
 gauge of your mental flexibility.
 In the three years since the test was developed, few people have been
 found who could solve more than half of the 27 questions on the first try.
 Many, however  reported getting answers long after the testing had been
 set aside, particularly at unexpected moments when their minds were
 relaxed.Some reports solving all the questions over a period of several
 days.

 Take the test as your personal challenge.  16 corrrect answers out of the
 27 in your first try means that you are some kind of GENIUS.

 INSTRUCTIONS: Each equation below contains the initials of words
              that will make it correct. Furnish the missing words.

 FOR EXAMPLE:
 60 = M in an H

 The answer would be:

 60 = Minutes in an Hour
 GOOD LUCK!!!

 1.    26 = L of the A
 2.     7 =  W of the W
 3.  1001 = ArabianNights
 4.    12 = Signs of the Zodiac
 5.    54 = C in a D (with the J)
 6.     9 = P in the SS [places in the Social Security number?)
 7.    88 = PK
 8.    13 = Stripes on the AmericanFlag
 9.    18 = H on a GC
 10.   32 = Degrees Farenheit at which Water Freezes
 11.    8 = Scales on a SlipStick ???
 12.  200 = D for P G in M
 13.    3 =  B M (S H T R )
 14.   90 = Degrees  in a Right  Angle
 15.    4 = Quarts in a Gallon
 16.   24 = Hours in a Day
 17.    1 = W on a U
 18.    5 = D in a Z C
 19.   57 = H V
 20.   11 = P on a F T
 21. 1000 = W that a P is W
 22.   29 = Days in February in a Leap Year
 23.   64 = S on a C
 24.   40 = Days and Nights of the Great Flood
 25.   80 = Days to Go Around  the World
 26.    2 = # it Takes to Tango
 27.  101 = Dalmations

------------
That was the original list of 27.  I added a few of my own and entitled it
"bonus round"...

 1.    1 = # of F
 2. (about) 1 Chuck = How Much Would a Wood Chuck Chuck if a Wood Chuck
Could (chuck) Wood
 3.    2 = Q in a C G
 4.    2 = C W
 5.    1 = P for a F-T
 6.    2 = S on a T-T
 7.    3 = Speeds on a Turn-Table (or 4, if it has 16)
 8.    3 = F (double bonus: they are C, L, & A)
 9.    3 = P for a F G
10.    4 = Beats to the Measure in 4/4 Time
11.    4 = S on a U
12.    5 = D in a Y G
13.   12 = C in the U B
14. 12, 3, & 7 = T to D D P [someone correct me if I'm wrong on the numbers,
           but I believe these are the correct ones...]
15.   12 = A M
16.   21 = G S
17.    7 = H of H O P
18.   76 = Trombones in the Big Parade
19.   Go Directly to Jail, Do Not Pass Go, Do Not Collect 200  [ok, so it's
not an equation, but it
         makes more sense than "200 = A Y D N C W Y G D to J (i.e.,  by N P
G)" ]
20.   50 = Ways to Leave Your Lover
21.  200 = Laps in the Indy 500
22.  500 = H of B C (hint: it's by D S)
23.  360 = Degrees in a Complete Circle?
24. 2001 = A Space Odessy

Unfortunately, I didn't write down the answers, and even *I* don't remember
them all anymore... :(