SCUBA-SE Archives

November 2000

From:
Lee Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Nov 2000 11:02:55 -0500
Jeff Kell wrote:

> Actually at least the crustaceans do make noise . . .

Years ago, in my less environmentally sensitive time, we caught and twisted
a bucket full of lobster, the real lobster, the one we catch here in
Florida.  Surprisingly, the heads continued to make pitiful squeaking noises
for a considerable period.  I can't really say how long ago it was, but it
was long enough that my mother got quite upset, did not eat that night and
has not eaten lobster since.  Now that I'm more sensitive to the needs of
animals and their place in nature, I do much better.  I twist the lobsters
at the dock (they must be brought to shore whole) and toss the head portion
into the water.  The fish get a feast and I can't hear them squeak.  Works
for me.

Rabbits have been known to scream when wounded and both dogs and cats cry
when hurt.  Grunt, the fish, really do grunt when caught.

Lee