HP3000-L Archives

October 2000, Week 5

From:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 08:32:59 -0800
"Simonsen, Larry" wrote:

> We have several users which connect to the system via telnet.  Both
> yesterday and today about the same time.  The network froze.  I looked at
> the console and there were 2 messages from the jinetd job.  The messages
> were
> Could not initialize data path with TCP.

Hacker scanning tools probing your e3000 or misconfigured IP clients attempting
a legitimate connection to your e3000 can cause this message and a few others.

I've haven't packet traced to fully understand this, but I suspect a SYN has
been sent to port 23 (telnet) on the e3000, and the e3000 attempts to SYN-ACK
back to the client, but the SYN-ACK fails perhaps due to a bogus source IP
address in the SYN packet, or the client refusing the SYN-ACK for whatever
reason.

- Mark B.