HP3000-L Archives

October 2000, Week 4

From:
Patrick Santucci <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Patrick Santucci <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 20:13:13 -0400
Shawn Gordon wrote:

> A timezone adjustment is always gradual, the only way to make it
> instant is to do a CANCEL and then it takes place.

So you're saying if I do:

:SETCLOCK TIMEZONE=W5:00
:SETCLOCK;CANCEL

then my time zone will be correct with only a minor local time change? Or
are you saying the ;CANCEL will make local time "jump" 5 hours back?

> Give how messed up you might be, I would set the timezone over the
> weekend before or after the actual change, see what your time is
> like after, and then make any corrections to your clock that you
> need later.

By "later" do you mean "immediately following"? As in:

:SETCLOCK TIMEZONE=W5:00
:SETCLOCK;CANCEL
:SETCLOCK DATE=10/29/2000;TIME=02:00:00;NOW

Or do you mean I should do a SHOWCLOCK in between, or what?

> I published a COBOL program in the 3000 News Wire a while back that
> would automate things for you, and there is also a command file I put
> out on the list that Robelle put in their What's up doc that will
> automatically change it (If you are using a scheduler).

For our two systems that already have the time zone set, I'm using Michael
Anderson's TIMECHG job, which does a SETCLOCK TIMEZONE to sets the time zone
forward in April and back in October (and checks to make sure it's the right
day to do the change, among other things). I think I originally got it from
this list a couple years back, and it works great. But I've never had to
"fix" a "GMT" system before. Sorry if I'm being dense, I'm just afraid I'm
going to mess up our month-end processing if this isn't done just right.

Patrick
Patrick Santucci
HP e3000 Systems Administrator
Cornerstone Consolidated Services Group, Inc.
5568 West Chester Rd.
West Chester, OH  45069-2914
phone:  (513) 603-1138
fax:    (513) 603-1495