HP3000-L Archives

October 2000, Week 4

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 28 Oct 2000 16:47:28 EDT
Ken writes:

> Check this out.
>
>  Our version of BASIC/V is 26 with an EOF of 389 compared to Wirt's
>  download version 24 with an EOF of 2949.
>
>  Version 24 does not seem to be Y2K compatible!
>
>  BASIC
>
>  HP32101B.00.24(4WD)  BASIC  (C)HEWLETT-PACKARD CO 1979
>  >10 PRINT DAT$(1,27)
>  RUN
>  SAT, OCT 28, 19:0,  6:01 PM
>
>  >EXIT
>
>  The 19:0 in the date should be 2000.

Yes, that's true. And for that I apologize.

I didn't know that HP had actually fixed the date problem in BASIC/V. The Y2K
fix probably rode with Release 40, which appeared after we had moved off of
the Classics, and thus which we never received, nor did I ask for it.

If someone who has version 26 would care to upload it our machine, I will
immediately move it over to the distribution point. To do this, telnet to
209.181.113.217. You can sign on as:

     :hello yourname,demo.qcterm

and backtransfer it to there. The qcterm account has write capabilites. I'm
sure that everyone would greatly appreciate that kindness.

As to the longer EOF that Ken mentions, the version of BASIC that I put up
for distribution is OCTCOMP'ed. That process expands the code by approx. 9
times in size. It  also allows for it to run approx. 20% faster. That speed
gain may not be sufficient to warrant the increased size however.

If there is anything interesting in an EOF of 389 for the most recent version
of BASIC, you tend to forget how much behavior you can put into a small
amount of code, given the right circumstances.

Wirt Atmar