HP3000-L Archives

October 2000, Week 4

From:
Wolfgang Strobl <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wolfgang Strobl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 07:40:34 -0400
Hallo George,

for reading Tables from an NT SQL-DB
and an HP3000 TurboImage-DB their´s no way with a) and c) because
this Points are strictly for the File-System and the Print-Queues.

The only way for Database-Access is Setting up ODBC.

We have tested the Standard-ODBC-Access (ODBCSE) that is included in
MPE. But their is no User and Password protection in this Version.
We use the Full-Version ODBC driver of MBFOSTER which offers the
access protection and an native Turbo-Image-Access.

The tools you need, depends on this, what you want to carry out in your
project. For Reports I would recommend the Tool Segate Crystal-Reports.
(The current version I believe is Version-8).It offers for example the
possibility of drill down, export Reports to e.g. Word, Excel, HTML etc..
This Tool has also has an installation wizard which makes it possible to
make
a Setup.exe. This means you only need one Lizenz of S C-R. In other tools
you need one Lizenz for developer and another license for each Enduser-PC.
And this tool ist very cheap.

Another Tool is ImpromptU from Cognos. We use both tools.

If you want to build up a data-Warehouse the following Tools from Cognos
make this possible (Cognos Web server, Cognos-Transformer, Cognos-Powerplay
etc.)
But for all this Tools the ODBC-Driver is necessary.

I hope this helps. For detail Informations please feel free to contact me.

TIA

Wolfgang Strobl
Systemadministration

SONAX GmbH & Co. KG