HP3000-L Archives

October 2000, Week 2

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 18:36:22 EDT
I just got the following in response to one of my earlier postings. The
author is a friend who now works at one of the largest server farms in the
world (indeed, an organization large enough to have a number of HP people
on-site at all times). I thought his comments merited sharing:

"On another topic (and please, this is "off the record", if you quote this,
please don't use my name!), last week I spoke to the HP rep on-site (we
have a number of HP people who work on-site, maintaining the multitude of
HP 9000 servers).  I mentioned that I was interested in getting an HP
3000.  The response I received was something like (and I don't remember the
exact words) "An 3000, huh?  Gee, HP has been trying to kill those things
off for years and people keep buying them.  What is so magical about
them?  Why don't you get a 9000 instead?"  Ah yes, I can see trying to get
an HP e3000 in here will be a real up-hill battle, and I'm too junior to
have the political clout to pull off such a maneuver.  I'd rather get an HP
e3000 and do all the work on one system, but I'll probably end up getting
an NT box and a UNIX box (probably SUN, not HP-UX) instead.  What a pain."

It's just a thought, but has anyone every suggested running an ad telling HP
what a system they have in the HP3000?

Wirt Atmar