HP3000-L Archives

October 2000, Week 2

From:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Oct 2000 15:30:28 +0200
Doug wrote...

>For any number of reasons, not the least of which is that you have to
> have NS/3000 for Java 1.1.7 to work properly under MPE i/X, (...)

Don't know about the underlying issues, but at least on a local machine
that happens to have 6.0 plus PowerPatch 2 (only FOS and IMAGE/SQL, no
other subsystems installed) the Java 1.1.7 stuff seems to be working. At
least the Apache JServ engine seems to respond to a few examples, one of
them including JDBC access to MUSICDBE.

So NS/3000 is probably not a MUST HAVE in all cases.

>It seems that I am still destined to be the only person in the world
> who can't get "HelloWorld" to work, at least in the forseeable future.

 MPE/iX:hello lars,demo.webkit
 HP3000  Release: C.60.00   User Version: C.60.00   SUN, OCT  8, 2000,
3:20 PM
 MPE/iX  HP31900 C.16.01  Copyright Hewlett-Packard 1987.  All rights
reserved.
 :newdir temp
 Created directory "TEMP.PUB.WEBKIT".
 :chdir temp
 CWD is "TEMP.PUB.WEBKIT".
 :copy /JAVA/DEMO/HelloWorld.java
 :java -fullversion
 java full version "JDK 1.1.7B (MPE Version A.17.03:03/24/99-15:14 GT JIT)"
 :javac HelloWorld.java
 :java HelloWorld
 Hello, World!

So there might still be hope. Don't know why, but it seems to work for me.

>Anybody out there using JBuilder? Might be fun to share....

No, I am using www.netbeans.com because it is free of charge. I do
not know (haven't checked lately) if the same might apply to JBuilder.
Many times, I still use Programmer's File Editor and SAMBA to write
Java programs or servlets or applets. This keeps me focused on the Java
instead of detracting my attention to the IDE. However, I do use the
NetBeans IDE when it comes to creating AWT or Swing GUI interfaces.

Back to Richard's original question...

>/javac MyFirstProgram
>No Floating-Point coprocessor, disabling JIT
>Unable to initialize threads: cannot find class java/lang/Thread

>HPVERSION = C.60.02
>HPPATH =
>SYCMD.SYS,/SYS/SYCMD,ACCMD.ADMIN,ACCMD,PUB.SYS,PUB,/usr/local/java/late
>st/bin/PA-RISC/green_threads
>JBIN = /usr/local/java/latest/bin/PA-RISC/green_threads
>JLIB = /usr/local/java/latest/lib/PA-RISC/green_threads
>CLASSPATH = /usr/local/java/latest/lib/classes.zip:.

Does LISTFILE /usr/local/java/latest/lib/classes.zip ,4 show the
file being present and accessible to the user you are logged on as?
I sometimes have seen file permission issues cause Java problems.

Another thing that looks strange to me is the HPPATH that you are
using. On my machine here, I have neither a CLASSPATH set nor (and
especially that) HPPATH with a Java related entry. My system has a
JAVA.PUB.SYS and JAVAC.PUB.SYS command file that takes care of
launching the JAVA VM.

I seem to recall that the command file runs a different program or
runs it with different parms than the /usr/local/java/latest/bin
PATH does, when using Java from inside the Posix Shell. Just a guess.

Lars.