HP3000-L Archives

October 2000, Week 2

From:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Oct 2000 13:37:44 -0700
Jim Phillips wrote:
> Hmmmm, says I, but we don't have Internet Services enabled on our HP 3000!
> In fact, our HP 3000 is safely protected from outside access by not being
> connected to the Internet in any way.

All sendmail needs is just plain old TCP/IP.  So if you're doing network
printing, or VT-MGR terminal sessions, you've already got TCP/IP configured
properly.

> Perhaps a little more information would be helpful to the group-at-large:
>
> Our mail is currently handled by an ISP (whose server resolves the
> THERMOLINK.COM domain).  Internally, we have a POP3 mail server (NT) that
> dials out occasionally and checks with the ISP for incoming email and sends
> outgoing email.  This mail server is on our LAN, albeit it is remote from
> the HP 3000, but still PINGable from the HP3000.

So your LAN is not connected full-time to the Internet, and the only connection
to the outside world is when the NT machine dials your ISP to exchange e-mail
periodically?

> What I want to do is to
> send email from the HP3000 to the internal mail server and have the mail
> server do its thing of sending the mail on its merry way (to the ISP if it
> is external or to a mailbox if it is internal).  Is Sendmail capable of
> doing this?

Yes, sendmail is capable of doing this.  You'll need to configure sendmail to
use the NT machine as a "smart host" (IIRC).  Sendmail will then just relay all
outbound e-mail to the one configured smart host, and it's up to the smart host
to worry about final delivery or further relaying.

I've personally never configured a smart host because my sendmails always have
full Internet access, but I do know this is a fairly common configuration
choice for Sendmail/iX users.

- Mark B.