HP3000-L Archives

October 2000, Week 2

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Oct 2000 22:11:41 -0400
Chris Goodey wrote:

> The PDP-8 was a 12bit word, 4096 word machine.

For anyone that hacked the old "ADVENT" game on the 3000 or otherwise,
it was originally developed on a PDP.  The text was unreadable on the
3000 (the data/map file) as the text was packed in the original 6-bit
format, such that 3 classic 3000 words (48 bits) was 4 PDP words, but
resulted in 8 bytes rather than 6.

Ages ago I remember our Engineering department had a PDP 11/16 (IIRC).

Prior to our choice of a 3000 in late 1976, there was an edict from
the Knoxville campus that we would be doing registration remotely to
their DEC-10.  It never happened (nor did their registration, while
we went online in 1977).

We also had a VAX for awhile (while on Digital topic), but it could only
run a couple hours a day before overheating the room (they had
no prepared computer room to house it in).  It was donated, we never
bought one :-)

Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>