HP3000-L Archives

October 2000, Week 2

From:
Duane Percox <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Duane Percox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Oct 2000 09:48:59 -0700
Larry Simonsen writes:

>I also find that open is defined but the ones with the money.
>If my boss does not think the hp e3000 is open then for all practical
>purposes it is not. It is just this battle that the hp e3000 is really
fighting.

I think that back in the early 90's the Unix marketplace convinced
everyone that the following equation was true:

open == pervasive

Regardless of Oracle and other SQL compliant RDBMS' ability to execute
a compatible set of SQL, you won't get the vendor's stated performance
or feature set unless you use their extensions.

If you study Oracle marketing you will see that they also define
open as pervasive.

So, it is not the perception of the e3k with regard to being open
that is the problem. It is the fact that it is *not* pervasive and
that the marketplace has been hoodwinked into believing that
open == pervasive.

Duane Percox