HP3000-L Archives

October 2000, Week 2

From:
"F. Alfredo Rego" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
F. Alfredo Rego
Date:
Fri, 13 Oct 2000 04:17:00 -0600
Paul Courry <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Hmmmmm, perhaps we should nominate Alfredo for the mathematics prize,
>after all what he does with Image *is* applied higher mathematics as
>demonstrated by his recent talk at HPWorld.

Thank you, Paul.  Boy!  Did I have a lot of fun at that talk.  But that
was just a very elementary introduction to complex-variable analysis on
multidimensional manifolds -- and we didn't manage to get too far before
the bell rang.

I was thinking about some point-set topology for Chicago/2001, but
Interex might just fire me on the spot (no pun intended) for straying
from the assigned neighborhood.  On second thought, we have dataSETs in
IMAGE.  Hmmm...  :-)

Do you think I could get upper HP management's ear if I approached them
with a prize medal & diploma?  I could then casually mention as a
corollary -- while munching on brie and sipping rare port -- that the
HP e3000 is a good theorem for them if they would just follow the proof.
Unfortunately, they seem to abide by different axioms and they obviously
believe in different inductive and deductive methods.

Perhaps a bit of non-Euclidean geometry would come in handy, because
they seem to be stuck believing that Euclid's fifth postulate is *IT* and
that any other proposal is absolute nonsense (or a cute VW Beetle or a
hammer).  I could show them that it is possible (indeed, desirable) to
construct beautifully consistent and useful (and DIFFERENT) geometries
which depend on dissimilar principles.  A bit of multi-culturalism,
I would say, to mix metaphors.  I would perhaps add discrimination
(or should I say "discriminants", in true matrix-algebra fashion) and
operating systems to the mix-master :-)

Nahhh...  With all due respect, I find politics excessively shallow and
boring.  I would rather share these deep thoughts with my fellow techies
during our next mathematics (oops, IMAGE/SQL) session in Chicago :-)

--

|            r  |  Alfredo                     [log in to unmask]
|          e    |                           http://www.adager.com
|        g      |  F. Alfredo Rego
|      a        |  Manager, R & D Labs
|    d          |  Adager Corporation
|  A            |  Sun Valley, Idaho 83353-3000            U.S.A.