HP3000-L Archives

October 2000, Week 2

From:
Paul Courry <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Courry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 2000 22:28:35 -0400
On Thu, 12 Oct 2000 13:31:34 -0700, Steve Dirickson wrote:

>> There will be a Court Martial.  Someone didn't set a
>> security watch or was looking the wrong way.
>
>Is there a basis for this "fact"? In a foreign port, where uncontrolled
>piers are 30 seconds away, neither negligence nor incompetence are required
>precursors to a successful penetration like this.
>
>Steve

May I point out that it was reported during All Things Considered on NPR about 6:00 pm that the
destroyer was expecting a small boat to help guide them in and that they lowered a rope to this boat.
It was then that the explosion took place according to an Army Major who was standing on the
opposite shore at the time the explosion occured.

If they indeed thought they were taking on a pilot or that the boat was expected and had some
legitimate reason for being there then all thoughts of court martial go out the window. I believe the
more likely scenario is "Court of Inquiry"?