HP3000-L Archives

October 2000, Week 2

From:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Oct 2000 12:49:11 -0700
Dan asks:
> Is there a way that I can get LINKEDIT to accept objects compiled with
> gcc's -fpic (or -fPIC) option?

The -fpic options generate fixups which are only understood by the HP-UX
linker and should not be used when compiling for MPE.

> There must be a way of creating shared libraries/executables on MPE...

Essentially all MPE code has always been relocatable (or "position
independent" in Unix terminology), and so you don't need to specify that the
code be generated differently depending on what you plan to do with it.

You can create a shared library from a module in "test.c" with a command
like:

$ gcc -shared -o mysl.sl --for-linker="-b -ashared" test.c

G.

(This answer brought to you by your friends at www.gccsupport.com)