HP3000-L Archives

October 2000, Week 1

From:
Duane Percox <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Duane Percox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 10:55:00 -0700
Larry says,

>OOps,
>
>Even in sysgen you can't set the session limits higher than
>your license.  My  previous response was misleading.
>But I was able to have too many session logon with network
>connections.  This was on a 947 box using o/s 5.0.  But the system
>eventually realized there was too many sessions and the system
>did hang!

Not sure I agree.

You can set sysgen to whatever you want (ours is the default
of 60) and you can set the limit to whatever sysgen has set.
Note that MPE comes preset with 60 as the max session limit.
I have seen sites where they had a user license > 60, but
never change the session limit in sysgen and thought they
were out of liceses! You can't login anyone without ;hipri
and exceed your configured license regardless of these
settings. I have never seen a system hang because of this.
I have seen systems hang because they ran out
of tcp connections and that might have been your issue.

BTW, our setting for session limit is currently set to 50, even
though we have a user license of 32.

*From showjob:

35 JOBS:
    0 INTRO
    0 WAIT; INCL 0 DEFERRED
   35 EXEC; INCL 34 SESSIONS
    0 SUSP
JOBFENCE= 1; JLIMIT= 13; SLIMIT= 50

*From sysinfo:

System Information as of TUE, OCT  3, 2000, 10:51 AM

MPEXL HP31900C.05.08         OS: C.55.00      User Version: C.55.07
CPU Model: SERIES 937            Memory : 488 Mb
CPU ID   : 1717068101  ($66586145)  Single Processor  Limited to 32 Users

How can this be?

RPM sessions created with RPMCREATE show in
the showjob and count against your slimit. But they
*don't* count against your user license. So, you need a session
limit large enough to allow your actual sessions and your
rpm sessions, but you still are limited to actual sessions
by your user limit.

Duane Percox