HP3000-L Archives

October 2000, Week 1

From:
Denys Beauchemin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 10:05:56 -0500
Gentle HP3000 list subscribers,

Yesterday in my little post about a challenge, I wrote the following:

"I have grown spoiled with having both a CD-RW and an LS-120 installed in the
notebook, or I can pull out the devices and put in a DVD-ROM and an extra
battery and watch movies on the plane.  (The best would be a DVD-ROM/CR-RW
device, but these do not yet exist.)"

Today, whilst cruising the Internet in search of firmware updates to defeat the
region protection code (RPC-2) of some of my devices, I chanced upon a page
listing firmware upgrades for CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo devices.  It listed about a
dozen such devices.  Therefore my statement above is somewhat misleading.
 These devices do exist but there are currently none available for laptops that
would fit in a bay.

Also, this site had DAT firmware upgrades for HP and Sony brand machines.
 These upgrades only work on DOS or Windows NT.
http://www.firmware.com.bi/

Please heed the warnings on the page.

Kind regards,

Denys. . .

Denys Beauchemin
HICOMP
(800) 323-8863  (281) 288-7438         Fax: (281) 355-6879
denys at hicomp.com                             www.hicomp.com