HP3000-L Archives

October 2000, Week 1

From:
"Hans-Ole Kaae, ScanConsult" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 2 Oct 2000 13:17:31 +0200
Astrid,

This is a 'classical' one - experienced by many PowerHouse users,
on MPE (including ourselves) I believe.

My guess is, that this is a disk space issue after all. PowerHouse
works with rather large sort scratchfiles. The size of these
scratchfiles can be tremendous due to the algorithm that computes
the necessary size of these files.

May I suggest the following:

1)  Check the available space on your disks and try to free up
space on LDEV 1 at least or better on all your disks.

2)  Walk thru the programs and reconsider the 'SET REPORT LIMIT nnn'
values. I've seen examples where PH-programmers, to avoid the
'report limit reached' issue, set very, very high values as limits -
and this limit, AFAIK, is one of the factors in the formula used to
calculate the necessary diskfile-sizes.

3) If you have Glance available you may verify the actual size of
these temporary discfiles while running your month-end reports.

If you need more info and perhaps a deeper technical explanation,
try the PowerHouse listserver. (To subscribe: send a mail with
"subscribe powerh-l" in message body to [log in to unmask])

HTH!

With kind regards,

Hans
(Hans-Ole Kaae)

E-mail: [log in to unmask]               Cell Phone: +45 40 42 55 07
ScanConsult IT-Partners                    Voice   : +45 87 34 55 07
Soenderhoej 46                             Fax     : +45 87 34 15 07
DK-8260  Viby J.                    Support : [log in to unmask]
Denmark                             Sales   :   [log in to unmask]
                     http://www.scanconsult.dk
===     ParaSuite :  A Suite of Air Cargo Handling solutions     ===
=== ScanConsult is  Authorized by  Hewlett-Packard  as  HP 3000  ===
=== Select Independent Software Vendor and HP9000 Power Partner  ===
=== We partner with  Oracle, Lotus, Cognos, MiniSoft and others  ===