HP3000-L Archives

October 2000, Week 1

From:
"F. Alfredo Rego" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
F. Alfredo Rego
Date:
Sat, 7 Oct 2000 16:31:26 -0600
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>"F. Alfredo Rego" wrote:
>>
>>  Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>>  >Upgrade HPUX 10.20 to 11.0       ->  12 man-days
>>  >Upgrade MPE/iX 5.5 to 6.0pp2     ->   3 man-hours
>
>>  For those who might have missed it: Jeff compares 12 vs. 3, BUT
>>  he is not using the same units, out of generosity :-)
>>
>>  When ruthlessly normalizing the units, the numbers look like this:
>>  Upgrade HPUX 10.20 to 11.0       ->  288 human-hours
>>  Upgrade MPE/iX 5.5 to 6.0pp2     ->    3 human-hours
>
>Actually I was counting shifts, so it's only a 96:3 comparison :-)

I see...  So, it's not THAT bad, after all.  For a while, I was
REALLY worried.  I'm afraid that a 96:3 comparison in favor of MPE/iX
is not newsworthy for the general press and for upper management.
Thanks for setting the record straight, Jeff.

>... So, if not for the 9000, I would likely be hiking up Signal Point, a
>civil war park on the Cumberland trail, just northwest of here.  The
>diving would be an all-weekend thing, and I have only been able to
>squeeze one trip in for that since the 9000 came on the scene.

I wonder how many people KNOW (in real-life trenches, not in theoretical
"upper-level" analyst-oriented palavers), deep down in their hearts,
about this unnecessary waste of humanity.

I also hope, for your own sake, that you will be able to squeeze at
least one more trip for deep-sea diving even while HP-UX continues to
clamor for your undivided attention.

You are a brave man.
--

|            r  |  Alfredo                     [log in to unmask]
|          e    |                           http://www.adager.com
|        g      |  F. Alfredo Rego
|      a        |  Manager, R & D Labs
|    d          |  Adager Corporation
|  A            |  Sun Valley, Idaho 83353-3000            U.S.A.