HP3000-L Archives

October 2000, Week 1

From:
Wayne Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 2000 15:34:44 -0500
John Burke <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>As I have said numerous times, it costs nothing in $ and only two seconds of
>time to add "MPE/iX" to any recitation of the "HP-UX, Linux and NT" mantra.
>And nothing bad can happen, unless HP Corporate thinks an analyst or press
>person asking "What is MPE/iX?" is bad.

>I'd give up my entire contribution if I could hear, preferably Carly
>Fiorino, but I would settle for Ann Livermore, explain (not marketing
>gobbledygook) why they steadfastly refuse to do this.

I thought the whole purpose of the ad was to get an answer to this question by
putting HP's top management in a position where they'd have to either:

(a)  Make a clear statement of committment to the 3000;

or

(b)  Admit that the 3000 is unimportant to them and on its way out;

or

(c)  Refuse to answer and thereby demonstrate lack of respect for their
customers' concerns.

Since a WSJ ad would place all this not just in front of us, but in front of the
whole world, it should apply some pressure to avoid option (c).  But since
support and enthusiasm for the ad seems to have dwindled and become fragmented,
I guess there's not much point in continuing.  Waiting till after HP World seems
to have cost the project its momentum.

Wayne