HP3000-L Archives

October 2000, Week 1

From:
Michael Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 2000 16:02:29 -0500
A half a year ago, or so, I added 3Gb of RAM to a 797/ks100. I actually started with 256Mb of RAM for 150 users running a popular 4GL. Now at 3.3GB performance has improved.

Since the new memory was added I noticed memory usage in GLANCE is only about 35 to 50 percent. I've always seen 100 percent memory usage in the past with every HP3K I've worked with. I've been told by HP CE's that M.P.E will always use 100% of memory due to file caching. This particular machine is very over worked, the CPU is constantly at 100 percent. When any process begins doing massive file I/O the DISC bar in glance begins to fill, the CPU bar is maxed with 50% pause for I/O, and the Mem bar is usually less than 50 percent. Another odd event, maybe unrelated is; about 10 to 50 times a day a system process (Pin150, SNMP) will lock the machine for 10 to 15 seconds. When SNMP does this the MM in the CPU bar shows about 80 percent.

Anyone on the list have a clue why only 40% of RAM is used on this machine?

Any pointers as to where/what to check?

--
Michael Anderson
Spring Independent School District