HP3000-L Archives

October 2000, Week 1

From:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 2000 11:47:45 -0700
Tom and others suggest:
> I would vote to keep the money for a while longer, to see if HP
> really does get it.

Since there does not seem to be a desire to run an ad in the immediate
future, I would suggest that perhaps Wirt should return the actual funds
received, but continue to accept "pledges" of money that people would be
willing to contribute *if* it should be deemed necessary.

This allows the group to point out to HP that $N has been pledged towards
something like a WSJ ad should they manage to provoke people to that point,
while eliminating the accounting issues and whatnot surrounding the holding
of real money.

It also eliminates the issue of people wanting to do "something" with the
money, which almost certainly would be something other than what people
intended the money to be used for when they contributed it in the first
place.  With a simple pledge of "potential" money, people can later decide
for themselves whether or not to actually contribute once a definite course
of action is determined, rather than worrying about whether the money that
they have given will be used for what they intended.

G.