HP3000-L Archives

October 2000, Week 1

From:
Brian Duncombe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brian Duncombe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 2000 11:22:51 -0400
At 11:13 AM 10/5/2000 -0400, Connie Sellitto wrote:
>First, thanks to all who responded (even the 'hairball' theory, and
>'catnip' - provided a much-needed laugh!)
>
>Ran HOWMESSY - there are definitely some MASTERs which should be expanded,
>but the problem seems to be worse than that.
>
>With no databases open, just the console and my terminal signed on as
>MANAGER.SYS, the system is still running very slowly.  To add to my
>concern, we're getting system error messages when printing: Printer storage
>manager; an error was reported from a lower level subsystem - Printer
>Storage Manager message 13
>
>Also, 'An unclassified software problem occured - Low Level I/O message  249'
>
>Native Mode Spooler message 9511, (and msg 9547)
>
>Also, Storage Management SIO undefined function FILE SYSTEM ERROR -6001)
>
>etc...

In the "olden days" we use to see symptoms like this when a terminal (or
modem) wired to a serial port experienced a problem that caused it to
continuously emit characters / interrupts.

In those days, the diagnostic was to disconnect all serial devices and see
if the problem went away.  On the assumption that the problem went away,
re-connect serial devices one at a time until you discover the one causing
the problem, disconnect it again, and continue.

I assume that other "hardware" problems might cause similar symptoms.

Brian Duncombe  [log in to unmask]  http://www.triolet.com
voice: 1-877-TRIOLET (874-6538) (905)632-2773 fax: (905) 632-8704
"Inside every large program is a small one struggling to get out"
C.A.R. Hoare