HP3000-L Archives

October 2000, Week 1

From:
Bruce Toback <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bruce Toback <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 2000 12:00:02 -0700
Glenn Cole writes:

>United Airlines announced wireless Internet access "from virtually anywhere
>in an airport terminal."  The press release notes that this will be available
>through either monthly subscription or by "one-time access."  No timetable
>was given.
>
>One thing to watch will be reports of "computer espionage," since no doubt
>there will be those who use the service but who do not protect their own
>machine from unauthorized (now wireless) access.

At this year's Apple Worldwide Developer Conference, which is held every
year in the San Jose Convention Center, Apple had set up wireless
Internet access for attendees to use free of charge during the event. It
seems that a lot of attendees didn't have encryption turned on, so anyone
with a packet sniffer on their laptop could eavesdrop all the
conversations within range. The same is likely to be true with the United
Airlines service, at least until people get used to configuring their
wireless networking properly.

Incidentally, the problem at the Apple conference was initially reported
by a packet sniffer developer, <http://www.wildpackets.com>, whose
software I wholeheartedly recommend to anyone doing network software
development.

-- Bruce

Bruce Toback    Tel: (602) 996-8601| My candle burns at both ends;
OPT, Inc.            (800) 858-4507| It will not last the night;
11801 N. Tatum Blvd. Ste. 142      | But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends -
Phoenix AZ 85028                   | It gives a lovely light.
btoback AT optc.com                |     -- Edna St. Vincent Millay
Mail sent to [log in to unmask] will be inspected for a
fee of US$250. Mailing to said address constitutes agreement to
pay, including collection costs.