HP3000-L Archives

October 2000, Week 1

From:
John Dunlop <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Dunlop <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 2000 13:51:35 +0100
I was just wondering about getting more exposure for the HP3000. It
seems that HP's upper management knows about the HP3000 but, for
whatever reason, do not feel inclined to extol its virtues in public.
Therefore, to my way of thinking, if it is publicity to the world at
large that would make the difference, rather than spend lavish sums on a
one day advertisement, how about some sort of public challenge, say
HP3000 v the rest. I haven't thought this all the way through as I am
hoping others can fill in the gaps, but it seems a good idea to stage
some sort of "event" and let the journalists do what they are good at
and report on it. So, I thought it would be a good bet to offer some
kind of challenge to other platforms and just how it is scaled and what
it performs would be open to debate. Say an HP3000 vs. an equivalent
AS/400 both running Apache. Is the number a pages served within a
certain time a valid and measurable statistic? Would it be significant?
What about an HP3000 vs. an NT system? These are mostly idle thoughts
but I, personally, would love to read about an HP3000 outperforming an
up-to-date/fashionable system! What does anyone else think? If it is
prepared and executed properly, I'm sure it would be an interesting
press event and might get the HP3000 some credibility in the
marketplace. I know, it will be hard to match like and like systems and
software but if it could be done.....

Cheers,

John "when the mind wanders.." Dunlop

E-mail : [log in to unmask]       "If at first you don't succeed...
Web : http://www.hp3000links.com       Don't take up sky-diving !"
"All your HP3000 resources on the Net"
(Mirror: http://www.users.totalise.co.uk/~jdunlop/index1.htm)