SCUBA-SE Archives

October 2000

From:
Lee Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Oct 2000 01:02:13 -0400
Alfred E. Kirkland wrote

> Unlike Lee,  I was one of those
> Dirt Bike guys. I rode competitively up untill the mid 80's and still
> pull one out every now and again to go beat the bushes!!

Ahhh, a man with inadequate information.  I rode enduros for two years in N.
Florida and S. Georgia.  In a preseason "warm up" race just outside of
Stark, Fla., I caught something in the front wheel that sent me ass over
teakettle over the handlebars.  I was doing just fine until the Bike, a
Kawisaki KDX 175, flipped over on top of me.  A pressure fracture of one of
my lower verterbrae put me in the hospital for a while.  As soon as I
thought I could, I tried the dirt bike again.  As you know, there's only one
way to drive a dirt bike, agressively, particularly a small bore like the
175.  Anything less and it bogs.  As you can imagine, a broken back took
some of the agression out of me.  I sold the bike shortly thereafter.

Drag racing big bores (bored 82 Suzuki 1100) was a safer alternative to
racing dirt bikes, something I no longer had the nerve to do right.  I know
it sounds funny, but a big bike, going very fast, in a straight line, really
is safer than a smaller one, going much slower between trees, creeks, berms
and the like . . . at least it was for me.

> Currently I'm in Ft. Lauderdale doing some of that "Technical
> Assistance" stuff and will probably be down here for next three weeks or
> so. (Tough Duty <G>) I love diving down here, , , have dived from
> Riveria to Key West and this area has some incredibly diverse sites!!
> Hopefully I'll get in the water tomorrow morning somewhere!!

I feel another mini nedfest in the making here.  I'm in Davie.

> Anytime!! I live in Dahlonega which is a small town in the foothills
> of the mountains. It's about 80 miles North of Downtown.  I'm sure the
> stuff you sent me has places for phone numbers so feel free to give me a
> call anytime you're there.

Nice little town.  Unfortunately, the panning I did last time I was there
didn't pan out.

Lee