SCUBA-SE Archives

October 2000

From:
Reef Fish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 2000 16:14:20 -0400
On Tue, 3 Oct 2000 23:15:05 -0700, Charley <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> [...]

Nice going, Charlie.  Bob rights, the wrongs!

>> The Mike there is Mike Wallace, for the newcomers, not Michael
>> Levy or some other generic Mikes in Scuba-L.   :-)
>
>> -- Bob.
>
>Bob,
>
>The "newcomers" (at least based on what I've read) as well as some
>"oldcomers" (once again, based on messages here and elsewhere), could give
>shit less who Mike is. We also (based on what I've read) could give a shit
>about what happened in Scuba-L. We also (based on what I've read) think you
>whine too much.

Congratulations, Charlie!  You have simultaneously qualified yourself
to be a COMPLETE IDIOT and a CLUELESS NEWBIE.  Don't take MY word for
it.  It's in the LESSONS on webpages about the internet!

Charlie and all Clueless Newbies in Scuba groups, it would serve you
well to start with this "internet roadmap" and MAP07 on "NETIQUETTE"

http://www.yars.free.net/guides/Roadmap/Welcome.html

Here are excerpts posted by THIS Bob (who Nick banned from Scuba-L
for having used "clueless" and "clueless newbie" in one post.  New
comments TODAY are enclosed in "<  >"

Date:         Mon, 22 May 2000 12:43:06 -0400

        <that was the day of the Tuesday Massacre in Scuba-L>

>                            NETIQUETTE
>                  by the Rev. Bob "Bob" Crispen

> Evangelism
>
> Everyone is tempted from time to time to evangelize ...

I do seem to recall having seen this a time or three, in Scuba-L. :-)

> In the entire history of the net, no one has managed to do this
> without looking like a complete idiot.

Note:  A "complete idiot" is a higher form of idiot than just an
ordinary (or incomplete) "idiot". Note that Rev Bob used this term
in his "bible" on Netiquette.

   <the term "idiot" is on Nick's "strike" list>
   <that qualifies Nick as a "complete idiot" and "clueless" too>

> Read what's said like an anthropologist, trying to discover what the
> big no-nos are. The beginning of a school term is a wonderful time
> to do this, as you will observe the clueless newbies who weren't
> smart enough to read this paragraph being torn to shreds.

Note:  The reverend "Bob" used the term "clueless newbies", which
has often been MISATTRIBUTED to be MY invention in Scuba-L, by
Scuba-L CNs and COs.

      <a CLASSIC Clueless Newbie is one who steps into a new
       neighborhood, a LIST, and start telling everyone what
       they have been doing wrong for years>

You can read the unabridged version of my post on May 22 in Scuba-L.

If you want to see why "clueless newbie" is in STANDARD usage in
LISTSERV and internet, just do an Altavista search e.g., with the
keywords
              listserv clueless AND newbie

you'll find HUNDREDS of webpages featuring the term and examples of
"clueless newbies".

Enjoy!

-- Bob.