SCUBA-SE Archives

October 2000

From:
Krazy Kiwi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 2000 00:00:42 -0400
It's our school holiday period over here (Perth) & all sorts of things are
on. The Royal Show, the annual Variety Club Bash & the month long
Oktoberfest. Spring is certainly in the air folks & its not only the
animals that are going crazy :-)

Yesterday the Hillary's swimming beach was closed due to shark sightings. a
2M oceanic blue shark came in to the shallows & was filmed swimming around
under the jetty & up to 2M's from the shoreline. At first the locals
thought the shark was preparing to birth but the Water Police reported it
was injured & in distress with a huge fish hook & a length of line in its
dorsal fin.

About the same time a white pointer 4.3M long was spotted off Scarborough
Beach ... where we lost 2 swimmers due to rips in the last 2 days. Neither
body has been recovered.

And, up north at Derby the Rangers have put out a warning to boat owners to
keep an eye out for crocodiles while launching their boats off their boat
trailers. Been a few close calls with the snappy fellas.

Thank goodness we are diving off Rockingham this Saturday instead of off
the local beaches for first official UW camera club dive.
Viv

720 5.00 6.00 7.00

96FM 6.00 7.30

94.5 6.00 6.30 7.00 7.30 8.00

PM 6.00 7.30 8.00

PR 6.00 7.00

Search off: search for a 22yo man who disappeared while swimming at
Scarborough Beach at the weekend called off.

Crocodile warning: authorities in Derby warning boat owners to beware of
two large crocs spotted near the town’s wharf; CALM attempting to trap the
animals.