SCUBA-SE Archives

October 2000

From:
Krazy Kiwi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 23:29:02 -0400
That thought provoking question appeared in the last paragraph of the final
chapter of a book Im reading. Cod - A biography of the fish that changed
the world - written by Mark Kurlansky.

With the topic of shark finning, pollock catches & the move towards
sustainable fishing worldwide, for various reasons, this book hit home with
some cold hard facts that really make me think. Believe me folks its not
often my *grey matter* goes in to top gear ;-)

The Cod overfishing saga is similar to Kent Lind's timely posting of the
Pollock overfishing story. This book covers so much history during the cod
fishing spree.  Very interesting to hear how plentiful the cod haul was,
the commercial potential of the Iceland & Newfoundland fisheries, when
trade monopolies came in, the global conflicts between various countries,
fishing rights, treaties, international laws of the sea, etc. A riveting
read that will open your eyes & make you think.
Viv