SCUBA-SE Archives

October 2000

From:
Krazy Kiwi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Oct 2000 01:50:05 -0400
We have 8 new additions to our UW world aquarium here in Perth. During a
routine check the new arrivals, 8 smooth stingarees, were discovered & are
being kept in a separate tank to protect them from predators.

The smooth stingray is the biggest species of stingray this side of the
world & an adult can weigh up to 350 kilogrammes. The gestation period for
the female is about a year ... we think 9 months is bad enough eh! Wot
makes it even worse (well..from my point of view then ;-)) is that as soon
as she gives birth she is impregnanted again by the males who chase the
females around just before the birth. I hear life might be a little less
hectic for the females in the wild, depending on whether they came across
another male at the right time to breed .. that god for small mercies :-)

6 of the smooth stingarees will be released into the ocean soon & 2 will
stay at the aquarium. The 2 rays most responsive to touching & handfeeding
would be chosen.

Also, 2 striped stingarees gave birth to 2 pups each. They are much smaller
than the baby smooth stingrays. And, another pair of eagle rays are looking
quite rotund also. What a UW baby boom we are having this spring!
Viv