SCUBA-SE Archives

October 2000

From:
"J.M. Vitoux" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Oct 2000 14:05:44 +1300
Carol Reid wrote:

> I've already had the TWO!
> Yesterday, I suggested to the  Doc that the bubble contrast e/c would
> demonstrate the PFO better.
> His look said "We got one of 'em here" :-)
> So I was asked to return to-day.
> It was as clear as anything on the monitor - bubbles one side and nothing
> /no disturbance at all on the other - Right/left atria(?) respectively?

Let me first add my voice to the chorus wishing you well.

During a short visit to France a couple of weeks ago, I met an
acquaintance who happens to have become a hyperbaric Doctor for
the French Navy. We had an interesting chat on
diving/decompression and PFO. To detect PFO with a good degree of
confidence, they do a transcranial doppler. Before doing that,
they used to do transoesophagian (sp?) dopplers. The third and
less accurate method is probably the one you had i.e. a normal
doppler.
When doing a doppler, you should always perform a vasalva. Was
this the case when you were examined?

I'm totally unqualified to give any advice, but I'd be wary to go
diving again before knowing exactly what is going on. Two
"unprobable" (prefer that to "undeserved/deserved" :-)) hits are
IMO a sign that next ones would rather become "probable" .

Jean-Marc