SCUBA-SE Archives

October 2000

From:
Reef Fish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Oct 2000 00:25:36 -0400
On Mon, 2 Oct 2000 06:16:55 +0700, Bjorn Vang Jensen
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Bob wrote:
>
>> If any of know know his phone number, please let me know VIA EMAIL
>> (but not post here) to [log in to unmask] with CC to
>>
>> Thanks.  I have some RUM that needs desperately to be consumed by Jeff
>> if I can get in touch with him.   :-)
>
>Call Bell South and tell them it's a life-and-death situation ;-))

That actually raised an interesting question.  Would Bell South release
an subscriber-requested unlisted number in the event of a life-and-
death situation (to the unlistee).  :-)

Fortunately, that became academic when Jeff POSTED his unlisted number
(even though I asked everyone NOT to post it ot honor his privacy :-)
-- I suspect he might have pushed the wrong button.  In any event, I
happened to have seen his posting about three minutes after it appeared
and we promptly arranged out day of activities by starting on a dry dive
at the Chattanooga Aquarium, by me picking Jeff up at 3:30 pm at his
home.

It STARTED with a disaster on my part!  :-)  I overshot the exit to
his street by at least 500% and it took me about 45 minutes to get
back to his house that should have taken perhaps no more than 10
minutes because it turned out that we are only about 3-4 miles from
each other.

Thereafter, I had a wonderful time seeing Jeff and his lovely wife
Brigit again.  We paid a short visit to the Aquarium just to ID and
count up the bonnetheads.  :-)  Then RUM was served, in lieu of beer,
in my apartment, to J & B.  Jeff was extremely conservative in his
consumption of my conveyance of thanks from you and others on this
LIST, in spite of the fact that I have taken the precaution of doing
ALL the driving for the day for all of us.  :-)  Then we had a Chinese
buffet before I returned Brigit home and Jeff continued to sample
more rum while we watched the Cozumel Eagle Ray Squadron video, and
the video of my recent trip to Cocos.

All in all, in the words of Charles Dickens:  It was the best of times,
it was the worst of times;  it was the epoch of wisdom, it was the
epoch of foolishness ...  it was the day when Jeff, Brigit and I had
our wonderful micro-mini-NEDfest celebrating our presence in his
Scuba-SE and discussing scuba and related matters;  it was the day
when I was "massacred" by Nick in Scuba-L, in what should be apparent
to everyone BUT Nick that his "strikes" were wholly contrived, to bar
me from posting in Scuba-L (not even to defend myself against HIS
false and unwarranted PUBLIC allegations) when I was complaining about
the MISDEEDS of the posters there suggesting I was FAKING posts in
Scuba-L!

It is such a bitter sweet day, to see the comaraderie of some Scuba-Lers
in REAL LIFE rise to new heights, while at the same time seeing the
pettiness of some other Scuba-Lers and its Manager sink to new lows
beyond the abyss and nadir I ever imagined possible!

I thank Strike (the Man with his independent voice) and Chuck (with whom
I have had strong disagreements about Nick and Scuba-L affairs) to inject
their voices of sanity on my behalf.

It was the best of times ... it was the worst of times ...

-- Bob.