SCUBA-SE Archives

October 2000

From:
David Strike <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Oct 2000 04:47:36 +1000
On Saturday, October 14, 2000 3:48 AM, Lee Bell wrote:

(snip)
>On the other hand, something does not sound right.  I just
> ran your dive on a simulator using air, which should show more radical
> simulator monitors, none were more than half saturated.  This strongly
> suggests that a normal person should not have significant DCS risk.

> OK, so you already know that you are not normal.  Something is causing you
> to either be more vulnerable to DCS than "normal" or something is causing
> you to have symtoms that suggest DCS.

Lee!  There's no such thing as "normal" when considering DCS.  Some people -
who might be considered to be in the high risk bracket because of weight,
age, lifestyle, etc. - can push tables beyond the limit and never get a hit.
Others who are careful and operate well within the limits can, after
performing the same profile many hundreds of times previously, suddenly
contract DCS.  The fact is that the tables are simply guides that 'seem' to
offer a degree of protection.  I'm not aware of any that have a 100% safety
record.

Rather than thinking of people as being 'normal' or 'abnormal', it is
better - to my way of thinking - to view the tables themselves, as well as
our present knowledge of the causes of DCS, to be where the fault lies.

(snip)
> Take the time and spend the money to find out the source of your problem.

With all due respects to Carol and yourself, but that *might* prove a costly
exercise and something that would only be possible if there was any such
thing as an infallible table!  :-)

Strike