SCUBA-SE Archives

October 2000

From:
Crusty Russ <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 20:25:44 -0500
Reef Fish wrote in response to what Strike wrote in his 'CounterStrike'
column 'Think or Thwim!   Is diving safety an oxymoron? ...
*snip*
> In no particular order of importance, but numbered for easy reference
> as these come to my mind, many of them are related (possibly opposite)
> ideas in your article:
>
> 1.  Try to stay away as much as possible from the MEANINGLESS LABELS
>     and JARGONS and not use them because others do.  These are deadly
>     enemies to YOUR safety and to any THINKING person.  Examples:  DIR,
>     GUE, Hogarthian, Strokes, etc.  If  you have something of SUBSTANCE
>     to say WITHIN those nebulous labels, just spit out what you have
>     to say without relying on the crutch of those religious banners.

I agree completely and don't care a whit about DIR in the context you
describe above... all I care about is DIB Doing It Better.  :-)   Much
of the fun of diving for me is finding new ways of doing it better... a
better way to pack, a better way to rig my kit, a better way to execute
the dive, and to act in a way so that within the limits of my influence
everyone who dives with me is safe and has fun.

After much reading and seeing it put into practice, I moved over to a
regulator configuration of a long hose primary and a short hose
secondary on a necklace.  It made sense to me because it's practical,
not because it's DIR or any other such silly mnemonic.

When I was considering this change, Lee and Mika (on this list) passed
along some great advice and practical experience in response to my
questions -without attitude, without dogma- which was most helpful.
After seeing my implementation of a six foot hose on my primary, my
daughter Danna switched over soon after.

An important kernel for me in what you said is to think and adapt based
solely on a good idea.

> 2.  To be SELF-RELIANT.  DON'T ever rely on a buddy to be your safety
>     sausage.  If you're competent to dive only to a depth of 10 feet,
>     or you don't feel sufficiently self-reliant at that depth to dive
>     SOLO below that depth under ordinary circumstances, then STAY ABOVE
>     that depth in ALL dives, and enjoy watching the bubbles of others
>     below you.

Every time I try to purge my regulator *under* my 'safety sausage buddy'
she whirls around and either hits me or floods my mask.  :-)

> 3.  THINK about all the ways you can DIE diving ABOVE 30 feet, in an
>     unobstructed over-head environment.  Not until you understand the
>     dangers at those depths, you are not quite ready to talk about dive
>     safety at deeper depths or other environments.

Preparing for a challenge by carefully considering the consequences,
thinking out a response, and exercising appropriate skills is always
better than finding yourself face-to-face with a problem and forced to
rely on luck to pull you through.

> 4.  Don't waste you time talking about diving environments in which you
>     have NO EXPERIENCE.  In particular, if you've never dived below 150
>     fsw (for whatever reason), just DON'T talk about it.  No amount of
>     preaching in the history of mankind ... will you be able to make a
>     case that what YOU choose not to do is necessary what EVERYONE ELSE
>     shouldn't do.   Talk about things you DO have knowledge (books,
>     first hand experience, info from reliable sources, etc.), and
>     refrain from BS (Bachelor of Science NOT).  :-)

...but by all means we should ask questions as a positive part of any
discussion to help everyone seek clear answers.  ...like 'What is diving
environment?'  :-)

> I am VERY BUSY packing ... so I'll lurk for awhile before considering
> bring out my "club".   <BWG>   HOWEVER, if you're self-reliant and a
> THINKING person, you need NEVER be concerned or wary about my figurative
> club!

Packing for ChooChoo, are we?  :-)

As for your "club", '...the wounds of a friend are faithful'  meaning
that the pointed suggestions, corrections, and criticisms of a friend
who cares about your safety and well being is advice to be thankful for
and relied upon.

> Ciao, y'all!
>
> Excellent SCUBA topic to bring up, Strike!
>
> -- Bob.

I agree, an excellent topic.

Best regards,
Russ