SCUBA-SE Archives

October 2000

From:
Reef Fish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 10:39:10 -0400
On Tue, 10 Oct 2000 18:15:52 +1000, David Strike <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>San Francisco-based webmaster - had written, ( re my 'CounterStrike'
>column):
>
>'  Think or Thwim!   Is diving safety an oxymoron? David Strike gets
> serious for a change and tells us that "Encouraging people to think
> about diving for themselves isn't dangerous; it only becomes so when
> those same divers 'think' that they've arrived at ironclad solutions
> to safety."  '

Excellent headline/sidebar to highlight an excellent piece of serious
article, though I don't agree with some of the (implied points), because
I THINK for MYSELF!  :-)   -- I agree with the SF webmaster about the
serious nature of the article, in a complimentary sense, not in the
sense of an oaf losing his sense of humor for constipated with Vegemite.

>http://www.asian-diver.com/themagazine/counterstrike/19_think_thwim.html
>
>As it's quiet on here -

At least nobody posted, "ANYBODY HERE??????????????"  :-)  Too many
of this tiny community are too ready to bitch about ME talking about
the politics and absurdity of Scuba-L that got us here, and too few
have the interest/knowledge/reasoned-opinion to dive into DISCUSSIONS
about SCUBA!

> whadjathink about attitudes to safety?

In no particular order of importance, but numbered for easy reference
as these come to my mind, many of them are related (possibly opposite)
ideas in your article:

1.  Try to stay away as much as possible from the MEANINGLESS LABELS
    and JARGONS and not use them because others do.  These are deadly
    enemies to YOUR safety and to any THINKING person.  Examples:  DIR,
    GUE, Hogarthian, Strokes, etc.  If  you have something of SUBSTANCE
    to say WITHIN those nebulous labels, just spit out what you have
    to say without relying on the crutch of those religious banners.

2.  To be SELF-RELIANT.  DON'T ever rely on a buddy to be your safety
    sausage.  If you're competent to dive only to a depth of 10 feet,
    or you don't feel sufficiently self-reliant at that depth to dive
    SOLO below that depth under ordinary circumstances, then STAY ABOVE
    that depth in ALL dives, and enjoy watching the bubbles of others
    below you.

3.  THINK about all the ways you can DIE diving ABOVE 30 feet, in an
    unobstructed over-head environment.  Not until you understand the
    dangers at those depths, you are not quite ready to talk about dive
    safety at deeper depths or other environments.

4.  Don't waste you time talking about diving environments in which you
    have NO EXPERIENCE.  In particular, if you've never dived below 150
    fsw (for whatever reason), just DON'T talk about it.  No amount of
    preaching in the history of mankind ... will you be able to make a
    case that what YOU choose not to do is necessary what EVERYONE ELSE
    shouldn't do.   Talk about things you DO have knowledge (books,
    first hand experience, info from reliable sources, etc.), and
    refrain from BS (Bachelor of Science NOT).  :-)

That should be enough for starter!  :-)

This is a good PRACTICE of "time to change".  Let's see EVERYONE
DISAGREE with, argue with, or agree and elaborate on those points of
mine with SUBSTANCE, SUBSTANCE, and SUBSTANCE (meaning reasoned
opinions), and stop bitching about FORM (how discussion should be
done in an OPEN FORUM, or what words need to be CENSORED, and call
it euphemistically 'strikes' or 'appelations' -- only IDIOTS need
to define what those words are, and what to call them, all for the
IDIOTIC notion of CENSORSHIP to speech.

It's your turn.

I am VERY BUSY packing ... so I'll lurk for awhile before considering
bring out my "club".   <BWG>   HOWEVER, if you're self-reliant and a
THINKING person, you need NEVER be concerned or wary about my figurative
club!

Ciao, y'all!

Excellent SCUBA topic to bring up, Strike!

-- Bob.