HP3000-L Archives

September 2000, Week 5

From:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Sep 2000 11:02:15 -0700
i was wondering why hp started to use lowercase where correctness,
and the hp corporate guidelines, would say "use uppercase".

then...when i came in to work this morning, i found the answer.

my win98 pc, which has been up for a week or so, had decided it
wouldn't pay any attention to the shift key.  i was doomed to type
in lowercase.

that must be what happened at hp.

hp...here's a tip.... reboot your pc

Naturally, I didn't notice the problem until I'd started an
email with elm.  The way you terminate the text entry in
elm is to hit <esc>ZZ or <esc>:w:q

but...I couldn't type an uppercase Z or a colon!  I was trapped
in the editor!

I finally figured out the solution...

Hmm...should I reveal the answer, or keep it as a trade secret?

Oh well, here it is:

   I found a colon on another window, and cut/pasted it in!

Remember how people have joked in the past about emailing someone
some capital letters?  Well, that could actually be useful sometimes! :)

--
Stan Sieler                                           [log in to unmask]
www.allegro.com/sieler/wanted/index.html                  www.sieler.com