HP3000-L Archives

September 2000, Week 4

From:
Tom Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Sep 2000 11:45:34 -0400
At 08:36 AM 9/27/2000 -0700, Duane Percox wrote:

<snip>

>5. I got (thanks to Rick Gilligan) a copy of a low-level IO
>    presentation at HPWorld. This session was talking about the
>    configuration of PCI and PCI-X for the N-class and A-class
>    systems. The most exciting part of this material is that
>    MPE/iX is mentioned equivalently to ux/linux/nt as one
>    of the operating environments using the PCI/PCI-X IO subsystem.

I sometimes think this group is like Kremlinologists during the Cold War:

"Carly said this, but someone else said that, so something must be happening".

It's like tea-leaf reading.

>6. I think our energy and $$ can be more wisely spent developing
>    new systems and solutions for our favorite platform. Let CSY
>    fight the battle internal at HP for mindshare. Besides,
>    I'm beginning to tire of all this negative talk. Its beginning to
>    appear like a bunch of little kids jumping up and down whining that
>    they aren't getting what they want.

All good points, but I think an outside push can help the cause - as long
we don't come off as "a bunch of little kids".

>7. Let Carly says what she has to say to move a 40+ billion $$ company
>    into the realm of IBM and fend off the likes of Sun. Give support
>    to our friends at CSY so that our favorite platform can move forward
>    in a manner that best serves the installed base.
>
>Oh yeah, one last thing.... continue to write good systems that your
>customers want so they will continue to buy/upgrade to new e3k boxes
>as they become available.

Absolutely!