HP3000-L Archives

September 2000, Week 3

From:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Sep 2000 11:32:21 -0700
Glenn Cole wrote:
> That's why I ask the question above.  While I know that Tcl can be used
> without the Tk extension (just as Java can be used without the Swing stuff),
> particularly as a macro-type language within a C program, I had not heard
> of non-Tk non-macro usage being common.
>
> If you find Tcl genuinely useful without Tk, then sure, the port would
> be interesting (and we look forward to your intro to it at a future
> HPWorld ;) .
>
> I wonder if this is why Mark did not finish the port.  That is, since
> Perl handles the non-GUI stuff well, and Tcl on MPE means no Tk, then
> why bother?

My need for Tcl was to be able to run the test suite for the Berkeley DB
implementation from www.sleepycat.com.

While the sleepycat tests seems to run OK with my version of Tcl, many of Tcl's
own selftests fail.  Since I myself don't know the Tcl language, I have no
plans to debug these failures to make the port more complete.

If Jeff W. wants to pick up Tcl where I left off, great, that's what open
source is all about!

- Mark B.