HP3000-L Archives

September 2000, Week 3

From:
Doug Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Doug Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Sep 2000 07:24:11 -0700
Last year, to save on installation (done on a weekend), I installed our 100 Mbit LANIC myself.
The system I/O board promptly blew, so I could not even boot, so we had to call the HP FE to come in and fix the bloody board.
(It was just a coincidence, the Field Engineer said--"When it's time for it to go, it goes!", he said.)

That's when the system clock was set so it gained 12 seconds every minute.
Then there were some configuration problems and a few system aborts.

After that though, everything worked great.

We put our DTCs on the 10 Mbit built in board and put everything else involving network traffic on our 100 Mbit LANIC.
Works great.
No complaints.

And some times, even our network printing works satisfactorily!

>>> Ted Barry <[log in to unmask]> 09/15 9:20 AM >>>
Hi, I'm thinking of proposing the purchase of a small
HP e3000 with a 100Mb ethernet card in it as its sole
communications interface and so I'm curious how happy
people have been with the 100Mb card vs. the standard
10Mb card.  Did you have any problems ordering the
system with the 100Mb card and no 10Mb card?  Does the
card work well?  How is its performance?

If you have any success stories or war stories
involving the 100Mb ethernet card, please pass them
along.  I don't subscribe to the list (I read the
archives on Raven a lot), so please email your

Thanks!

Ted