HP3000-L Archives

September 2000, Week 3

From:
Mark Wonsil <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 16 Sep 2000 22:51:36 -0400
A few folks were unable to attend my talk on XML (I wanted to go to
SIG-Image myself!).  I put the paper from the proceedings, the PowerPoint
slides and the handout on the web at www.4m-ent.com/HPWorld2000.

I got to thinking about the "Old" vs. "New" conversation.  While markup
technology isn't as old as terminal connections, it does pre-date the Web.
GML got its start in the late 1960s and became an official standard in 1987
as SGML.  Let's face it, marked-up text files is hardly exciting technology.
("Press Release:  Our software package supports text files.  Wow!)  It's
those darn B2B people who get folks all worked up that they are ready to
throw the baby out with the bath water.  I find the under-lying concepts
behind SGML/XML (separating content from presentation) to be useful in
today's rapidly changing web environment.

Mark Wonsil
4M Enterprises, Inc.