HP3000-L Archives

September 2000, Week 3

From:
Mark Wonsil <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 16 Sep 2000 00:36:22 -0400
>Acronyms
>-------------
>Old acronym: TLA - three-letter acronym.
>New acronym: xTLA - extensible three-letter acronym (thanks to Terry Floyd)

No doubt.  If you belong to Acronyms Anonymous - better call your
sponsor....

>Contrasts
>----------------
>The first session I attended was Joe Geiser's excellent tutorial on
>webifying the HP3000.  The last session I attended was Wirt Atmar's
>excellent tutorial on webifying the HP3000.  The contrast could not have
>been greater.

<snip />

I didn't see Wirt's talk, but I did hang around the Adager booth for a 90
minute demo.  I am very impressed with QCTerm and its Van Gough mode.  I
couldn't help but think what a fresh face it could put on a lot of older
apps.  But then I got to thinking, how would one convert an app like MANMAN?
The screen model is not conversational, in QCTerm you can jump around but
MANMAN loops.  I would think V-Plus apps would be much easier.  For better
or worse, the presentation would be closely tied to the business logic.

There have been a few posts on going "back to the future" and I wondered how
far could you push QCTerm.

Will Telnet scale for thousands of users on a system at once?  Would the
license model have to change or would one have to buy an unlimited-user
license to do large Internet work?  Can you get around the firewall issue
with Telnet?  Would QCTerm eliminate the need for web pages or do you still
need them?  Does QCTerm become the standard for doing maintenance and web
pages for read only interactions?  Could you get enough folks to download it
or would you want the "QCTerm Markup Language", QCML (a FLA BTW),
implemented in browsers and other terminal emulators.  Will QCTerm be
available for Linux and/or Mac?  Would it be useful if QCTerm could display
multiple resources on the same screen - not graphics and such, but multiple
connections?  (For example, connect to the MFG server and the Order Entry
computer and display info about a part's orders and supply)  Just some
thoughts.  I would be curious what others think.

Mark "Getting my $89 ready" Wonsil