HP3000-L Archives

September 2000, Week 3

From:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Sep 2000 09:15:38 -0700
What version of MPE are you running and are you current on patches?

I was able to locate SR 4701282384 which describes this problem and says it was
fixed back in the 5.0 era.

When callci is used from a batch job such as Apache, CI I/O redirection is done
into a temporary file to capture command output.  This temporary filename is
derived from the POSIX getpid() function, which in turn is derived from the MPE
PID of the current process.

An MPE PID uniquely identifies a process throughout the life of a system.  The
high-order portion of the PID is set to zero at boot time, then gets
incremented at each process creation.  What appears to be happening here is
that your system has created enough processes since boot time such that the PID
can no longer be squeezed into the 7 hex digits used for the callci temporary
filename.

I suspect you will have to reboot your machine to clear this problem.

If you are on MPE 5.5 or greater and are current on patches, then hmmmmm, maybe
this didn't really get fixed or regressed somehow.

- Mark B.